The Sociotechnocanonicon Great Books Discussion Series allows members of the CDSC to build their familiarity with some of the classic works which are foundational in studies of online communities and peer production. The discussions are open to all, and facilitated by senior members of CDSC in order to introduce the broader context of the work. Meetings are held in person and aired over Jitsi for remote participation.
Meetings will be held at 4pm Seattle time (check your timezone here).
To connect remotely, visit https://meet.jit.si/sociotechnocanonicon during the meeting time.
Works and Schedule
Wealth of Networks
Wealth of Networks, Yochai Benkler [Downloadable PDF of the book are available per-chapter and as a single file.]
- 2018-06-25 Week 1: Chapters 1-4 (pages 1-127)
- 2018-07-02 Week 2: Chapters 5-8 (pg 129-312)
- 2018-07-09 Week 3: Chapters 9-12 (pages 313-485)
- 2018-07-16 Closing Week: Full work retrospective & follow-ups
- The limits of peer production: Some reminders from Max Weber for the network society. Daniel Kreiss, Megan Finn, Fred Turner
- The Poverty of Networks. David Berry.
Governing the Commons
Governing The Commons, Elinor Ostrom
- 8/6/18 Week 1: Preface; Chapters 1-3 (pg. xiii-102)
- 8/13/18 Week 2: Chapter 4-6 (pg. 103-2016)
- [Maybe?] 8/20/18 Closing Week: Full work retrospective & follow-ups, Counterpoint? (Any suggestions?)